awaiting my new clone

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

awaiting my new clone

Postby hailsham » July 8th, 2016, 12:15 pm

very excited that I will being having my Altair Clone built very soon!

Question for Mike - I am curious, how many clones are out there?
thanks
Andy

PS Clearing space for the new arrival as we speak :-)
hailsham

Re: awaiting my new clone

Postby toml_12953 » July 11th, 2016, 8:11 am

Welcome to the group! Everyone here is very friendly and helpful, unlike some forums out there. If you've never used a real Altair before, you're in for some exciting times. If you have used one, you'll feel like you've come home. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have. I've asked some really dumb ones (hindsight is 20-20, ya know!) and Mike et al have answered them with no condescension or ridicule. There are some hardware geniuses here of whom I am in awe. As much as they know, though, they never look down on those of us who know less than they do. I really appreciate that.
Once again, welcome!

Tom L
toml_12953

Postby hailsham » July 11th, 2016, 4:51 pm

thanks for the welcome! Interestingly I've never got my hands on a real Altair as it was just something that we would drool over as kids in the magazines...

I fall into the 'dumb question asker' category so watch out :-)
hailsham

Postby hailsham » July 15th, 2016, 11:13 am

Arrived yesterday, great packaging, perfect condition .... and I powered up and got into the configuration monitor.

I read somewhere that folks have in the past installed S100 cards for display... I have a bunch of maybe a dozen miscellaneous cards from an old Intellec I was given years ago. Unfortunately they seem a tiny bit too tall for the box. So I guess these are not exactly S100 cards .. shame.. they would have looked nice nestling in there :-)

Anyway, can't wait to get into my Altair.... very exciting!
hailsham

Return to General Discussions