Altair 8800 Clones are Shipping!

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Altair 8800 Clones are Shipping!

Postby AltairClone » May 23rd, 2013, 9:36 am

We are now shipping the Altair 8800 Clones! Orders can be placed from the website.
AltairClone
Site Admin

Re: Altair 8800 Clones are Shipping!

Postby marcwolf » June 10th, 2013, 7:24 pm

It's a great idea but pretty pricey. If there was a real short form version which is the board and just the front panelthen I'm be interested. Living in Australia would make the shipping costs horrendous

Dave
marcwolf

Postby Tor » June 23rd, 2013, 5:04 am

The interesting question is of course: How much is shipping? Shipping to Australia tend to be expensive as Dave said. I'm in northern Europe so it may be expensive too. I've studied the pictures and it isn't entirely clear to me whether the box could be flat-packed or not, which may have an impact on shipping price.

-Tor
Tor

Postby AltairClone » June 23rd, 2013, 8:17 am

Shipping outside of the US is US$100 to Australia or Europe. PayPal doesn't make flexible shipping charges very easy!

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby Cyberia » June 29th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Is the kit supposed to be the same price as the assembled version? I didn't see this subject mentioned anywhere in the details, maybe I missed it...
Cyberia

Postby AltairClone » June 29th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Yes the kit price and the assembled price are the same. It is mentioned at the top of the ordering page, but no explanation is given there. Basically, the kit requires a more difficult testing and packing procedure as well as more customer support than an assembled unit, leaving the total cost of the two versions about the same.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby wallc » July 31st, 2013, 12:05 pm

What have the experices been from some of you who have already purchased? How promptly have the machines been shipped? Quality of the product?
wallc

Postby classiccomputing » August 2nd, 2013, 9:34 am

wallc wrote:What have the experices been from some of you who have already purchased? How promptly have the machines been shipped? Quality of the product?

Hi, from the time I paid I think it arrived in only about four days or so. So Mike shipped it within one or two days. It arrived in great shape - very well packed and protected. The quality is excellent and I'm very happy with it. Externally, it was like buying a brand new Altair 8800. It completely delivers that real experience of owning one. Of course picking it up changes that reality a little! It's so light. I like it a lot and it looks great even when I don't have a chance to play with it.

Best, David
classiccomputing

Postby wheagy » August 8th, 2013, 7:08 pm

wallc wrote:What have the experices been from some of you who have already purchased? How promptly have the machines been shipped? Quality of the product?

I received an assembled clone just the other day. It arrived in less than 4 business days from when I ordered (shipped to Virginia). Was was well packed, looked great and worked great. I've loaded several disks, front panel demos, tape, Basic and CP/M programs and so far everything works great. The website videos are very helpful and makes getting stared easy. Lots of fun.

Win
wheagy

Postby boyce » August 10th, 2013, 9:54 am

I ordered on a Friday at 9pm, received an email conformation on Monday and the computer was delivered on that Tuesday. Like others have already said the packaging and product are excellent.
boyce

Next

Return to General Discussions