Solid State Music IO4 Board

Discuss construction, troubleshooting, and operation of the Altair 8800c computer

Solid State Music IO4 Board

Postby AltairClone » January 21st, 2024, 9:21 am

The SSM-IO4 board is very handy to have in your collection if you're an active S-100 hobbyist. The board has two serial ports and two parallel ports, but most importantly, the board is very configurable.

The serial ports are easily configured to look like an Altair 88-SIO console port, or an 88-SIO cassette interface port, or the 88-2SIO serial port. It's also not hard to make the serial port look like an IMSAI SIO-2 board or the serial and parallel ports on a Processor Technology 3P+S board. I've used the parallel ports connected to an OP-80A paper tape reader with the port looking just like the Altair cassette serial port. This allowed existing Altair tape software to use the OP-80A for loading BASIC and programs. I've also used the parallel ports to interface the an iCOM (Pertec) FD3712 drive cabinet to provide dual 8" IBM compatible drives to a computer with just a parallel port (the controller is in the drive cabinet).

While the SSM-IO4 board isn't extremely rare, you may have to wait several months for one to show up on eBay. However, another hobbyist recently discovered that the ICC-Gould 100-0062 board is the same as the SSM-IO4 board. Either SSM private label manufactured the board for ICC-Gould or sold them the rights to the board. Either way, this ICC-Gould board is presently readily available.

To make sure we don't miss out on these, I purchased a batch of ten of these boards that I am testing/fixing and will sell for $90 each. You can see a picture of one of the boards I just purchased at the link below. The boards I received are all in similar condition and have the green soldermask. You can also see a picture of an actual SSM-IO4 (the blue board) with the ICC part number label on it. This was from the earliest days when ICC first used the SSM-IO4 board. Gould purchased ICC in 1985.

https://deramp.com/downloads/mfe_archiv ... 4%20Board/

If you want one of these boards, contact me deramp5113, followed by ASCII 0x40, followed by the Yahoo domain name.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Re: Solid State Music IO4 Board

Postby Wayne Parham » January 21st, 2024, 11:32 am

Too cool!

You've got mail!
Wayne Parham

Return to Altair 8800c