Clone Owners Who've Built an 8800c: the Cabinet Situation

Discuss construction, troubleshooting, and operation of the Altair 8800c computer

Clone Owners Who've Built an 8800c: the Cabinet Situation

Postby MajorClements » October 13th, 2022, 12:57 pm

Yay, my first 8800c post! (updated title)

I have had a growing interest in building an 8800c, but I likely won’t be able to anytime soon. I actually built an Altair Clone several years ago, so I was planning to use the case from it to build the 8800c. My concern is more so the Altair Clone. I mean it would still be a fully functional system minus the case. My proposal for a potential product idea: would it be possible to make an 8800 Clone case that lacks the ‘empty’ space? At first glance, the cables, fan, PSU, and ACR could all fit comfortably within the space of the L-bracket of the front panel (the case then would be roughly 5-8 inches long). I feel like the 8800c is really the more desirable system for the Clone case. I know that some would prefer the big case for the 8800 Clone (as do I), but I cannot justify spending $300 for a whole new case. Plus the benefit of having a smaller footprint would allow single-arm or hand transportation, call it an Altair “680-esque” 8800 Clone case. I can see the view that implementing a case design like that would be a sub-sub-niche product, and may not be profitable, but I really like the quality of Mike’s work, and I much prefer a metal case over those acrylic ones. As long as it can be sold for at most 2/3’s the cost of the Clone case, I will fork up the cash.

I am curious if there are any Clone owners who have or will be using their case to build the 8800c. If you decided to keep the Clone system and move it to a new case, what did you replace your former system with? Overall, what are your thoughts on a smaller clone case?
Sincerely,
Daniel
________________________________________________________________________________
“THINK!”
If you had to remember only one thing about me, just know that I’m the guy with too many ThinkPads to count.
MajorClements

Re: Clone Owners Who've Built an 8800c: the Cabinet Situatio

Postby Wayne Parham » October 15th, 2022, 3:58 pm

Honestly, I love the clone and I love it installed in the same case as the 8800c. It makes it "just like the original," except lighter. And I know - you're right - that means it's mostly empty space inside. But the case is what "makes it," in my opinion.

Without the case, you could just run SimH on any old PC. Tons of emulators and simulators out there. But in the case - front panel and all - you are transported back to the 1970s. Gotta love it!
Wayne Parham

Return to Altair 8800c