Thank you Mike

Discuss construction, troubleshooting, and operation of the Altair 8800c computer

Thank you Mike

Postby Sirius Arcturus » September 5th, 2022, 2:49 pm

I just wanted to take a second to say Thank You to Mike D. Without his foundation for the 8800c I would not have one myself now today. His clone cabinet is absolutely fabulous. And all the details he has in his site about how one might do this are priceless. Of course the YouTube videos are really what got me started, and I referred to them many times during the build, even taking screenshots of certain views so I could see details about the backplane and the power supplies he used.

And then there are the engineering and production of the FDC+. It’s a superb piece of engineering and not only is it working great for me making my Altair think my two 5.25” floppy drives are 8” Altair drives, but also I’m using its memory while I endeavor to build up my own memory boards. Without the FDC+, my Altair would be a long way from running at all yet

And of course it’s a huge help to have all the utilities, disk images, manuals, software, schematics and etc on his site. What an impressive source of reference material.

And finally I can’t say enough about the boundless patience he exhibited as I asked questions and worked my way through things. What a great guy.

Thank you, Mike.

Sirius
Sirius Arcturus

Re: Thank you Mike

Postby Wayne Parham » September 5th, 2022, 8:48 pm

Well said. I agree, 100%.
Wayne Parham

Postby BillO » September 5th, 2022, 9:19 pm

+1.
BillO

Postby TheoAU » September 6th, 2022, 7:41 am

A big thanks to you Mike for the hard work and enthusiasm that keeps these classic machines alive.
TheoAU

Postby KenF » September 6th, 2022, 8:37 am

I vote to agree. I built my own Altair look-alike years ago since I could never find an original and way back in the old days I could neither afford nor purchase one. But... My concoction was just that - an Altair that was obviously home built. Worked fine, but it would never fool anybody as to its origin. With the old insides transferred to the new box from Mike (minus the 12 pound power supply and plus a three oz replacement) not even my old ex-8 bit comrades can tell the difference between MITS and Mike unless they pick it up.

Well, sort of. The give-away is that no original box from the 1970s could possibly be this pristine.

My thanks also.
Ken
KenF

Return to Altair 8800c