Can't Update FDC+ Firmware

Discuss construction, troubleshooting, and operation of the Altair 8800c computer

Can't Update FDC+ Firmware

Postby toml_12953 » September 26th, 2021, 1:18 pm

I currently have v 1.3 of the FDC firmware. I'm trying to update it to 1.7.

The cable that came with the FDC+ is connected to the port on the FDC+ and I have the monitor switch set to on. I have a straight-through cable connecting the FDC+ to my laptop. On the laptop, TeraTerm is set to 9600,n,8,1. When I start the 8800c, the TeraTerm window shows two choices

1) Enter Monitor
2) Update firmware

Hmmm. Call me crazy, but I choose 2.
It asks a question and then asks if I'm sure. I answer y for yes.
In the TeraTerm menu, I then click File/Send file, turn on the binary option and choose fdc.bin from the file dialog.
As the file is being sent, the terminal shows something like:

J> B@@ @

and returns to the menu. The file isn't actually sent.

How can I update my firmware?
toml_12953

Re: Can't Update FDC+ Firmware

Postby toml_12953 » September 26th, 2021, 5:22 pm

toml_12953 wrote:I currently have v 1.3 of the FDC firmware. I'm trying to update it to 1.7.

The cable that came with the FDC+ is connected to the port on the FDC+ and I have the monitor switch set to on. I have a straight-through cable connecting the FDC+ to my laptop. On the laptop, TeraTerm is set to 9600,n,8,1. When I start the 8800c, the TeraTerm window shows two choices

1) Enter Monitor
2) Update firmware

Hmmm. Call me crazy, but I choose 2.
It asks a question and then asks if I'm sure. I answer y for yes.
In the TeraTerm menu, I then click File/Send file, turn on the binary option and choose fdc.bin from the file dialog.
As the file is being sent, the terminal shows something like:

J> B@@ @

and returns to the menu. The file isn't actually sent.

How can I update my firmware?

Mike Douglas to the rescue! He mentioned that, with TeraTerm, you have to only send and receive CR without the LF. When I changed the terminal settings, it worked!
I didn't find anything about that in the docs but I'm notorious for missing details like that. Oh well, my FDC+ is now running firmware 1.7 (the latest) and I'm happy.

Thanks, Mike!

Tom L
toml_12953

Re: Can't Update FDC+ Firmware

Postby AltairClone » September 26th, 2021, 10:57 pm

toml_12953 wrote:with TeraTerm, you have to only send and receive CR without the LF. When I changed the terminal settings, it worked!

You should have TeraTerm send only the CR when you type a CR - do not have it send both CR and LF when you press just the CR key. The receive direction is not an issue other than you’ll tend to get double spacing with most any computer of the S100 era if you have TeraTerm add a LF for every CR it receives. Note that CP/M also wants just the CR sent when CR is typed. Since sending just a CR when CR is typed is the default behavior of TeraTerm, this generally won’t be an issue.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Return to Altair 8800c