Available Case Options

Discuss construction, troubleshooting, and operation of the Altair 8800c computer

Available Case Options

Postby zanfar » June 9th, 2024, 6:20 pm

I am in the process of assembling the components for my 8800 build. I've been fascinated by the Altair for decades, and I finally believe I'm in the right place to begin a clone project. The goal is to pursue the 8800c path, and so far, I've acquired the CPU, Front Panel, and Interface board with parts. The component I haven't been able to wrap my head around yet is the case. The final assembly is at least a year off, so I'm not in a terrible hurry. However, constructing the front panel requires at least the mounting bracket from the case.

The only solution I'm aware of is the 8800c case, which is currently unavailable until another production run is made. Are there any other options I'm overlooking? I'm more than happy to wait for another run, especially if I can find an interim solution for the front panel assembly--I want to support the work that has already been done on behalf of this community--but I could also manufacture my own case or bracket if dimensions or drawings are available.

IMO, the best case solution (assuming the 8800c cases become available in the next 24 months) would be to find or fabricate just the bracket or a positioning jig for the front panel assembly.

Any help or advice you can provide is appreciated; thanks,
zanfar

Re: Available Case Options

Postby ahend » June 20th, 2024, 6:48 am

I have a CAD model of the 8800C case. You should be able to use it to create a template for building the 8800C front panel PCB.
If need be I can machine up a couple blank sheets for the job.
Andrew
ahend

Return to Altair 8800c