Support for Cromemco TU-ART

Discuss construction, troubleshooting, and operation of the Altair 8800c computer

Support for Cromemco TU-ART

Postby steve42 » October 18th, 2021, 3:27 am

I have a Cromemco TU-ART as the serial board in my Altair. It's worked great so far, but up to this point I've been writing all my own software. I'm gearing up to add disk storage capability now and looking forward to using CP/M, BASIC, and all the wealth of standard software out there, which I gather is mostly geared to the expectation that one is running the more standard MITS serial board. Am I right in imagining that I need to switch to one of those to avoid having to custom-patch all the ROM monitors, CP/M BIOS, and everything else, or was TU-ART actually a widely supported board that might work AS-IS with the usual ROMs and CP/M and such?
steve42

Re: Support for Cromemco TU-ART

Postby AltairClone » October 19th, 2021, 10:28 pm

Unfortunately no, the TU-ART was not supported by software that ran on the original Altair FDC. You’re looking at patching code or picking up an Altair compatible serial board.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby toml_12953 » October 20th, 2021, 2:52 am

steve42 wrote:I have a Cromemco TU-ART as the serial board in my Altair. It's worked great so far, but up to this point I've been writing all my own software. I'm gearing up to add disk storage capability now and looking forward to using CP/M, BASIC, and all the wealth of standard software out there, which I gather is mostly geared to the expectation that one is running the more standard MITS serial board. Am I right in imagining that I need to switch to one of those to avoid having to custom-patch all the ROM monitors, CP/M BIOS, and everything else, or was TU-ART actually a widely supported board that might work AS-IS with the usual ROMs and CP/M and such?

If you're going to replace the TU-ART anyway, might I suggest the 2SIOJP? It's completely compatible with the Altair 2SIO plus it has extra features that you can read about here:

https://deramp.com/2SIOJP.html

Since it's made of all modern parts, it should be more reliable than a vintage board. I have two in my Altair 8800c and have had no electrical or compatibility problems with them at all.
toml_12953

Postby steve42 » October 20th, 2021, 10:17 am

toml_12953 wrote:If you're going to replace the TU-ART anyway, might I suggest the 2SIOJP? It's completely compatible with the Altair 2SIO plus it has extra features that you can read about here:

https://deramp.com/2SIOJP.html

Since it's made of all modern parts, it should be more reliable than a vintage board. I have two in my Altair 8800c and have had no electrical or compatibility problems with them at all.

I have one on its way to me as I type this. Looking forward to trying it out.
steve42

Return to Altair 8800c