Version "A" of Altair (Burcon) CP/M 2.2

Announcements about the Altair 8800 Clone including software and hardware updates.

Version "A" of Altair (Burcon) CP/M 2.2

Postby AltairClone » March 9th, 2014, 10:12 pm

The original version of Altair CP/M 2.2 uses the first port of a 2SIO board as the console, reader and punch (CON, RDR and PUN) . The 88-LPC Line Printer Controller is used as the list device (LST). CP/M’s IOBYTE function – which allows reassignment of CP/M logical devices to different physical devices – is not implemented.

Version 2.2a of Altair CP/M implements the IOBYTE feature which is required for proper operation of some programs (e.g., Kermit) and allows use of a wider variety of I/O devices than the original version. Several Altair I/O devices are supported including the SIO board at 0/1, both ports on the 2SIO board, the 88-ACR cassette interface board (SIO at 6/7) and the 88-LPC line printer controller.

The CPM2.2A folder is inside the CPM 2.2 folder accessible from the CP/M link on the support page (http://altairclone.com/downloads/cpm/CP ... PM%202.2A/). The folder contains an updated MOVCPM file, MOVCPMA, that generates the new "A" version of CP/M which can then be written to disk using the SYSGEN utility. MOVCPMA can be moved to the target system using PCGET or other file transfer utility.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Re: Version "A" of Altair (Burcon) CP/M 2.2

Postby Synoptic » March 10th, 2014, 12:06 pm

with that CPM, would it be possible to have 2 (2)SIO connected to the same console (same session, but on two (2)SIO) ? I'm asking this because I would like to find a way to interact with an already running CPM session from a second (2)SIO port.
Synoptic

Postby AltairClone » March 10th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Using the STAT command, the console could be switched back and forth between the two 2SIO serial ports during a session, however, the second port could not monitor or interject commands into the active console port's session. That is the type of ability provided by programs like "BYE."

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby jibanes » March 10th, 2014, 2:16 pm

This implies that we can now script operations such as a "GET FILENAME" which would start a batched operation to kermit to retrieve a file through the second port to a kermit server and give back the console to the operator and report success or failure of the file retrieval operation, same with PUT, which therefore allows nearline storage to a central repository. Amongst other uses.
jibanes

Postby Synoptic » March 10th, 2014, 2:41 pm

AltairClone wrote:Using the STAT command, the console could be switched back and forth between the two 2SIO serial ports during a session, however, the second port could not monitor or interject commands into the active console port's session. That is the type of ability provided by programs like "BYE."

Mike

I need to get that BYE working...
Synoptic

Return to Announcements