Post a picture of your Altair.

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Re: Post a picture of your Altair.

Postby Synoptic » December 1st, 2016, 11:56 am

virtualaltair wrote:Here is my Altair Clone running Remote CP/M (RCP/M) software. The RCP/M is connected to the internet using a GW312 Serial to Ethernet Server and accessed using Telnet.

Click on the image to see it correctly.

Tom

Can we access it ?

mine is accessible there : www.micronick.com/altair
Synoptic

Postby virtualaltair » December 1st, 2016, 3:29 pm

I can access www.micronick.com/altair. I'd like to learn how you display the connection on a web page.

My RCPM is primitive until I add some updated software. Mike & I just got BYE working with Telnet:

Try Telnet:altair.virtualaltair.com:4667, password VCTR to test the RCPM.

BYE & XMODEM ASM is on B:.

Tom
virtualaltair

Postby Synoptic » December 6th, 2016, 7:32 pm

Hi Tom,
I use ftelnet embedded html telnet client. Look it up.
Synoptic

Postby virtualaltair » December 7th, 2016, 3:11 pm

Thanks for the pointer to ftelnet embedded html telnet client.

What software are you running on your clone to support Zork? Are you using BYE?

Tom
virtualaltair

Postby Synoptic » December 8th, 2016, 9:19 am

virtualaltair wrote:Thanks for the pointer to ftelnet embedded html telnet client.

What software are you running on your clone to support Zork? Are you using BYE?

Tom

No. It's not the altair that does the connection, it's a separate computer that accepts telnet and then link it to a COM port that is then plugged into the altair.
Altair runs a program I called MENU. It boots a CP/M that will CALL MENU in the bootsector.
Whn I want to add an option, I have to go in the MENU.ASM file, add the option and recompile it.
Synoptic

Postby virtualaltair » December 10th, 2016, 3:47 pm

What type of computer is the separate computer? Is it outside the case or inside? My GW312 server is specialized for RS-232/Telnet and not a general purpose computer. I could mount it inside the clone case, but I might need a bracket for the Ethernet RJ45 socket.
virtualaltair

Postby Synoptic » December 13th, 2016, 10:31 am

virtualaltair wrote:What type of computer is the separate computer? Is it outside the case or inside? My GW312 server is specialized for RS-232/Telnet and not a general purpose computer. I could mount it inside the clone case, but I might need a bracket for the Ethernet RJ45 socket.

It's a mini-itx runing linux with ser2sock daemon. It's mounted inside. I made some DB-25 adapter. let me check if I can find the picture of the setup that I sent to Mike when I got my clone.

Synoptic

Postby virtualaltair » December 19th, 2016, 8:00 am

Your system looks very neat! I like the back panel connectors for USB and DE-9.

The mini-itx is smaller than any PC that I've built. I like the idea of filling the clone case, but am still am adjusting to the size of modern electronics. I'm thinking I might want something the size of an Intel compute stick with USB/RS-233 ports. The Windows 10 computer could also connect to the GW312 using Virtual COM ports. There is room for a Compute Stick and a GW312 in the case. That might require am Ethernet RJ45 and an HDMI connector at the back panel. The GW312 and the compute stick are so small that there is less need to hide them inside the clone case.

I would want a 4GB Compute Stick to run a version of Windows 10 with a Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) server. The WIndows 10 computer, GW312, and clone could communicate using RS-232. It's not clear which computer is front end and which is the back end. Windows could extend access past Telnet and the GW312. The GW312 provides RS-232 and Ethernet. The compute stick has W-Fi. USB 2.0 and 3.0 open the door wide. Now I need a good idea for an application that makes the combination useful.

You should have some fun options with Linux.

Tom
virtualaltair

Postby gmh » March 3rd, 2017, 3:29 am

The returns team at my work cleared out a banks DC recently, I was going though the pallets of returns and found an new/unopened Wyse WY-55 terminal... it's finally happened I have a "real" terminal for my 8800!

C55sOG-UsAAeOzq.jpg
gmh

Postby toml_12953 » March 3rd, 2017, 4:54 am

gmh wrote:The returns team at my work cleared out a banks DC recently, I was going though the pallets of returns and found an new/unopened Wyse WY-55 terminal... it's finally happened I have a "real" terminal for my 8800!

C55sOG-UsAAeOzq.jpg

Sure beats a terminal program on a PC, doesn't it? (Unless you have to mount floppy disks, that is!)

Tom L
toml_12953

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions