Disk Sound Effects Board

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Re: Disk Sound Effects Board

Postby JNZ » February 19th, 2016, 12:04 pm

Hmm, that's a shame. Does that include something a simple as low->high for activate, pulse for disk activity, and high->low for deactivate?
JNZ

Postby AltairClone » February 19th, 2016, 6:41 pm

JNZ wrote:Hmm, that's a shame. Does that include something a simple as low->high for activate, pulse for disk activity, and high->low for deactivate?

Yes, I should be able to get a few coded signals to a smart sound generation circuit. The idea discussed in the past was using the high or low state of the line to indicate head loaded/unloaded, and a quick transition and return (starting at either polarity) of less than, say, 50us as a step signal.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby JNZ » February 19th, 2016, 6:54 pm

That'd be just fine from my perspective, and I'd be willing to flash my Altair Clone with firmware once you're ready to test it out. It'd also be great if others are working to make sound solutions too (because I'm learning as I go). I sort of jumped in here.
JNZ

Postby MajorClements » October 13th, 2022, 1:27 pm

Wow, I had no idea that there was any development of a sound generator like this. I am absolutely obsessed with mechanical sounds like those that vintage hard drives make. Who needed an LED indicator back then anyway, especially with how loud they were? Nowadays, it is impossible to even find an activity light on devices that need it now more than ever, like SSDs. I wanted to load up JNZ’s video, but it appears that he took it down. Mike, has there been any further developments on this since?
Sincerely,
Daniel
________________________________________________________________________________
“THINK!”
If you had to remember only one thing about me, just know that I’m the guy with too many ThinkPads to count.
MajorClements

Postby AltairClone » October 13th, 2022, 7:46 pm

Unfortunately no, nothing at all has been for disk drive sound effects for the Clone.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussions