Disk Sound Effects Board

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Disk Sound Effects Board

Postby AltairClone » February 9th, 2015, 4:18 pm

Recently, I've spent a lot of time working on a new floppy disk controller for real Altair computers. Because of this, I'm now very accustomed to the particular sounds the drives make as I run through various computer activities. But now when I use the Altair Clone, the lack of disk sounds disappoints me!

A disk sound effects board for the Altair Clone would best be implemented in a manner very similar to the cassette interface board. In fact, the board would have to provide both functions. The audio output connector of the new board would come through the same hole in the rear of the Altair Clone as the cassette audio output. This output then connects to either 1) an amplified speaker for disk sound effects (e.g., computer speaker, iPod/iPhone/MP3 speaker), or 2) the microphone input on a cassette recorder when using it as a cassette interface.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Re: Disk Sound Effects Board

Postby gmh » February 9th, 2015, 5:36 pm

Sounds great! As long as the shipping to Australia is reasonable I'll buy 1. :)
gmh

Postby toml_12953 » February 10th, 2015, 2:28 pm

AltairClone wrote:Recently, I've spent a lot of time working on a new floppy disk controller for real Altair computers. Because of this, I'm now very accustomed to the particular sounds the drives make as I run through various computer activities. But now when I use the Altair Clone, the lack of disk sounds disappoints me!

The audio output connector of the new board would come through the same hole in the rear of the Altair Clone as the cassette audio output. This output then connects to either 1) an amplified speaker for disk sound effects (e.g., computer speaker, iPod/iPhone/MP3 speaker), or 2) the microphone input on a cassette recorder when using it as a cassette interface.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Mike

No chance of a third jack just for disk sounds? I don't like the idea of plugging and unplugging connections so often and I use the cassette interface a lot (probably the only one who does, though)!

Tom L
toml_12953

Postby AltairClone » February 10th, 2015, 3:14 pm

A separate output on the board for disk sound effects isn't a problem, but there are only two audio connector holes on the rear of an Altair and the Altair Clone. I guess I could make a plate that mounts in a DB-25 opening with a hole for a headphone jack. I've seen that before on an Altair 680 cabinet.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby toml_12953 » February 11th, 2015, 8:18 am

AltairClone wrote:A separate output on the board for disk sound effects isn't a problem, but there are only two audio connector holes on the rear of an Altair and the Altair Clone. I guess I could make a plate that mounts in a DB-25 opening with a hole for a headphone jack. I've seen that before on an Altair 680 cabinet.

Mike

As Jean-Luc Picard said to Commander Riker when he saw an antique Singer machine for the first time, "Make it sew!"
toml_12953

Postby gio74 » February 11th, 2015, 12:58 pm

Sounds very nice Mike!

I was wondering what about a dedicate speaker with a 0.7Watt amp to be mounted inside the chassis?
would do a better job (as sound effect) than audio output, also this would keep free the cassette jack output.

Beside this, my suggestion to record the Diskette Driver sound is to use a contact microphone (e.g.: Schertler DYN E)
Contact mics can do a better job when it came to the recording of mechanical noises,
than common mics (like a dynamic or condenser).
gio74

Postby mail@gabrielegan.com » February 12th, 2015, 7:32 am

I would find having the sounds of a floppy drive but not the drive itself frustrating.

No chance of making an actual interface for floppy drives, I suppose? I see that there are plenty of old 5.25 inch drives going cheap on Ebay.

Gabriel Egan
mail@gabrielegan.com

Postby toml_12953 » February 12th, 2015, 8:25 am

mail@gabrielegan.com wrote:I would find having the sounds of a floppy drive but not the drive itself frustrating.

No chance of making an actual interface for floppy drives, I suppose? I see that there are plenty of old 5.25 inch drives going cheap on Ebay.

Gabriel Egan

Good luck with that! I've been coaxing, urging, cajoling and otherwise being a PITA about it for a long time. It's a limitation of the chip he used. Unless he redesigns the whole thing, there's no chance.

Tom L
toml_12953

Postby AltairClone » February 13th, 2015, 12:03 am

I've recently been using 5.25" Teac 55-GFR drives as 8 inch drives with my real Altairs. You can't hear drive activity at all over the drive cabinet fan and the Altair fan. Maybe I should just sell a louder fan with the Clone and say it's just drowning out the drive noises ;)

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby toml_12953 » February 13th, 2015, 7:56 am

AltairClone wrote:I've recently been using 5.25" Teac 55-GFR drives as 8 inch drives with my real Altairs. You can't hear drive activity at all over the drive cabinet fan and the Altair fan. Maybe I should just sell a louder fan with the Clone and say it's just drowning out the drive noises ;)

Mike

LOL! As a comedian you make a brilliant hardware designer! :)
Like you, that's the way I'll end up using your disk interface board if you start selling it.

Tom L
toml_12953

Next

Return to General Discussions