Altair 8800 connect to the internet ¿?

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Altair 8800 connect to the internet ¿?

Postby mpastor » July 6th, 2014, 6:40 am

In this website we can find the altair connected to internet. this is possible?
http://www.micronick.com/altair/

can I transmit a message from one to another altair?

Greetings.
mpastor

Re: Altair 8800 connect to the internet ¿?

Postby AltairClone » July 9th, 2014, 6:57 pm

You could transfer files (containing a message!) between two Altairs using XMODEM, KERMIT, etc.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby Synoptic » July 15th, 2014, 11:56 am

I'm the owner of that clone on the internet.

I use a small linux computer to do this and a program that listen on a TCP port dans transfer everything back and forth to the serial port of the linux to the Serial port of the altair.

Mike helped me making a boot disk on the altair that presents a menu.
Synoptic

Postby jibanes » July 15th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Nice, can you perform a reset remotely as well?
jibanes

Postby Synoptic » July 15th, 2014, 7:34 pm

jibanes wrote:Nice, can you perform a reset remotely as well?

No!
Synoptic

Postby virtualaltair » December 1st, 2016, 11:23 am

My Altair and Altair Clone are connected to the internet using a GW312 Serial to Ethernet Server. The server can use simple Telnet or Telnet COM Port Control RFC 2217.

https://www.neteon.net/products/serial-ethernet-device-servers/gw312.html

Mike Douglas ported BYE.ASM and XMODEM.ASM to use Altair 2SIO port 2 with CTS enabled. BYE & XMODEM for a simple Remote CP/M (RCP/M) that can be operated remotely using Telnet. The RCP/M can load a program, for example a BBS program.

Tom
virtualaltair

Postby jibanes » January 27th, 2017, 11:20 am

What would be indeed interesting is to "link" all our altair(clones) together using similar means, some kind of altairnet, with where a common "chatroom" exists and is shared on freenode as well and perhaps a way to share files.

The "gateway" between altair and internet doesn't have to speak tcp/ip to the altair of course, maybe some kermit-like protocol.
jibanes

Postby Synoptic » January 30th, 2017, 1:40 pm

jibanes wrote:What would be indeed interesting is to "link" all our altair(clones) together using similar means, some kind of altairnet, with where a common "chatroom" exists and is shared on freenode as well and perhaps a way to share files.

The "gateway" between altair and internet doesn't have to speak tcp/ip to the altair of course, maybe some kermit-like protocol.

I am all in for an "AltairNet"
Synoptic

Postby gio74 » November 19th, 2018, 9:31 am

hey I would love an altairnet
gio74

Postby TomXP411 » December 3rd, 2018, 4:06 pm

You can also use a WiModem to connect to the Internet. The WiModem is a microcontroller with an RS-232 interface, and it's very useful on systems like the Altair Clone. I've started using one, since it lets me connect to the Altair from across the room, and I can leave the system on my dresser, where it lives these days.

I use this unit by Jim Drew:
https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php ... dem232OLED

and a 3D printed case from COREi64
https://corei64.com/shop/index.php?rout ... uct_id=117

To make this work, you do need a couple of additional components. Since the Altair is wired as a DCE device (like a modem), it needs a male-male DB25 cable and a null modem adapter. It also needs 5v power. Rather than use an external power adapter, I got a small USB regulator. It was originally intended to hook up a Raspberry Pi, but it also works for the WiModem.

here's an example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGQH1RQ/

You can also use the WiModem on the second serial port for dialing out to other systems... it acts just like a Hayes modem from back in the day; you can connect to other nodes with the ATD command, and you can answer an incoming call with ATA. This makes it nearly 100% compatible with legacy terminal software. The only software that doesn't work is software that tries to be too smart and filter text out of the dial string (Telemate did this; it converted letters to their telephone keypad numeric equivelant.)
TomXP411

Next

Return to General Discussions