Altair Chatbot

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Altair Chatbot

Postby Wayne Parham » October 5th, 2023, 9:16 am

Alright, guys, the summer is over. Time to winterize your boats, order a rick of firewood and get back onto your Altairs!

Honestly, I check this forum almost daily and I thought how we've all neglected to chat. I'm as guilty of that as anyone. I spent my summer doing automobile projects and staying busy with work and family stuff. I've been writing some C code on the Altair too, and plan to post when I am done. I just haven't made as much progress as I had hoped. Been too busy. Will post about a project I've been doing soon.

But I digress...

All the buzz these days about chatbots makes me always mindful of the original chatbot - Eliza - available of course, on our beloved Altairs. It's still fun for me to run it every now and then and chat. I modified my copy to not be so "shrinky" and instead drive discussions in other ways that I think are a little more fun. But it's still Weizenbaum's baby.

Eliza doesn't grab its knowledgebase from the internet, of course, but I like it that way. Reminds me of the time when our Altairs were born.

If you don't have a copy of Eliza, download the archive at the link below. It has Eliza and a bunch of other BASIC stuff.

Wayne Parham

Re: Altair Chatbot

Postby AltairClone » October 7th, 2023, 8:30 pm

Yep, time to do some more work. I’ve recently updated the Clones’s cassette interface board to work as a cassette modem for most any S100 serial board. If you use a serial board that can look like the original 88-SIO (e.g., SSM-IO4 and several others that use the generic COM2502 UART or equivalent), you’ll have a drop in equivalent for the original Altair Cassette Interface (the 88-ACR) and can run all the original Altair cassette software.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Re: Altair Chatbot

Postby Wayne Parham » October 8th, 2023, 9:17 am

That sounds really cool!
Wayne Parham

Return to General Discussions