At VCF, need help please

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

At VCF, need help please

Postby Synoptic » April 15th, 2023, 7:59 am

Hey guys!

I'm currently at VCF East showcasing my AltairClone, and I'm having some trouble getting a copy of the Adventure game to run on it. It's been quite a while since I've dealt with custom image disks and loading them onto the clone.

Would anyone be kind enough to spare some time and make me a disk for it? There are a lot of people around, and I can't fully concentrate on relearning everything.
Synoptic

Re: At VCF, need help please

Postby AltairClone » April 15th, 2023, 8:14 am

Not sure what “Adventure” might be. Are you looking for Zork maybe?

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby Synoptic » April 15th, 2023, 8:54 am

I have attached the game here.
it's a version I am running on my Osborne computer (Z80).

There are a bunch of version in the zip, don't know which one I got running on the osborne,
Attachments
cpm-advent.zip
(863.45 KiB) Downloaded 490 times
Synoptic

Postby AltairClone » April 15th, 2023, 9:47 am

I just created a disk image you can load using the Altair Clone's configuration monitor. Look for "Adventure.dsk" here: https://altairclone.com/downloads/cpm/CPM%202.2/
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby Synoptic » April 15th, 2023, 10:59 am

Thanks a lot! It's working!
Synoptic

Postby Synoptic » April 15th, 2023, 2:06 pm

What file do I need to create to have some sort of autoexec.bat in CP/M?
Attachments
72CFE7BA-588D-4375-8B44-D9952FC0C215.jpeg
Synoptic

Postby AltairClone » April 16th, 2023, 7:31 am

For the version of CP/M you are running, see page “Option 3. RUN AUTO AFTER A COLD OR WARM BOOT” on pdf page 13 (original page 10j at the link below. You could rename AD.COM to AUTO.COM. The CP/M I sent you is sized at 56K, so the MODE byte should be at DBFFh.

https://deramp.com/downloads/altair/sof ... 0Notes.pdf

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby Synoptic » April 17th, 2023, 7:52 pm

AltairClone wrote:For the version of CP/M you are running, see page “Option 3. RUN AUTO AFTER A COLD OR WARM BOOT” on pdf page 13 (original page 10j at the link below. You could rename AD.COM to AUTO.COM. The CP/M I sent you is sized at 56K, so the MODE byte should be at DBFFh.

Mike

Ok, I'm gonna need guidance here :)

I'm reading page 13 (original page 10). it refers to the SYSGEN PROCEDURE. Which I kinda understand.
What I understand is this : The sysgen command will allow loading the current CPM into memory and then be able to make changes we need in memory and write it back onto the disk.

What I don't understand is how to set the cold and warm boot bits from your instructions.
Synoptic

Postby Synoptic » April 18th, 2023, 12:48 am

Synoptic wrote:
AltairClone wrote:For the version of CP/M you are running, see page “Option 3. RUN AUTO AFTER A COLD OR WARM BOOT” on pdf page 13 (original page 10j at the link below. You could rename AD.COM to AUTO.COM. The CP/M I sent you is sized at 56K, so the MODE byte should be at DBFFh.

Mike

Ok, I'm gonna need guidance here :)

I'm reading page 13 (original page 10). it refers to the SYSGEN PROCEDURE. Which I kinda understand.
What I understand is this : The sysgen command will allow loading the current CPM into memory and then be able to make changes we need in memory and write it back onto the disk.

What I don't understand is how to set the cold and warm boot bits from your instructions.

Mike, I used the disk you made me back then that contains Autoboot.com which is a small wizard that asks for which disk to modify and what bit to set (disable ,warm, cold) and what command to execute. I managed to get my thing working using that ;)
Synoptic

Return to General Discussions