Electric Pencil for Altair?

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Electric Pencil for Altair?

Postby Tech » February 17th, 2023, 8:44 pm

I'm wondering if a copy of the first word processor "Electric Pencil" for Altair 8800 has survived and is available for download?
Tech

Re: Electric Pencil for Altair?

Postby AltairClone » February 18th, 2023, 3:41 pm

I know of a copy that runs on the Sol-20 or a Subsystem B card set. I’ll have to do so more digging to see if I can find an Altair version.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby Tech » February 19th, 2023, 11:25 am

It would be great to find the Altair version.

BTW, I searched for other Altair word processors and found WordStar available for download here.

I also found the manual for "Altair Word Processing Package" here, but couldn't find the application itself.
Tech

Postby AltairClone » February 19th, 2023, 3:45 pm

Unfortunately the Altair Word Processing “manual” is more of an advertising brochure than an actual user’smanual. I’m not sure it was ever distributed. I believe the plan was to create AWP from QTYPE. You can play with QTYPE in Altair MiniDisk version at https://altairclone.com/downloads/minidisk/BASIC/.

Here also is a an ALTAIR 8” disk image with WordStar: https://altairclone.com/downloads/cpm/C ... /WordStar/

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby Wayne Parham » February 20th, 2023, 6:34 pm

I love WordStar. The menu system was great for its time and make basic editing easy. Both WordStar 3 and WordStar 4 will run on the Altair. Disk images for both are available in the thread linked below.

Wayne Parham

Return to General Discussions