Parallel Interface for the Clone

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Parallel Interface for the Clone

Postby MajorClements » December 31st, 2022, 12:27 pm

Could a Parallel interface be created for the clone using traditional Shift Register ICs? I understand that the serial port bit rate is software limited to 9600, but since the clone can kick up to 115,520 could the firmware be updated to support such a feat? (perhaps even higher than the 115k?) Honestly, from a Computer Engineering perspective, I don't see why it cannot be done, unless I am missing something in my way of thinking.

BTW, I began restoration work of my 8800 Clone, I have to say, Solder Flux makes a tremendous difference!
Sincerely,
Daniel
________________________________________________________________________________
“THINK!”
If you had to remember only one thing about me, just know that I’m the guy with too many ThinkPads to count.
MajorClements

Re: Parallel Interface for the Clone

Postby Wayne Parham » December 31st, 2022, 2:34 pm

MajorClements wrote:I began restoration work of my 8800 Clone, I have to say, Solder Flux makes a tremendous difference!

True that!

MajorClements wrote:Could a Parallel interface be created for the clone using traditional Shift Register ICs? I understand that the serial port bit rate is software limited to 9600, but since the clone can kick up to 115,520 could the firmware be updated to support such a feat? (perhaps even higher than the 115k?) Honestly, from a Computer Engineering perspective, I don't see why it cannot be done, unless I am missing something in my way of thinking.

Sure, you can easily make a serial-to-parallel converter. I personally like using the old AY-5-1013 chip for that purpose. They're just so easy to use, and you can still get 'em.

Back in the 1970s, I made a handshaking converter based on that chip. It converted XON/XOFF handshaking to DTR/DSR (or RTS/CTS) for devices that could only support one or the other. The circuit gated the chips parallel output to "watch" for XON and XOFF, and asserted the hardware handshaking line accordingly.
Wayne Parham

Return to General Discussions