Jinx Adventure Game

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Re: Jinx Adventure Game

Postby TheoAU » August 25th, 2022, 3:00 am

I loaded it on my 62k CP/M disk and it ran fine. It was the save/load version. Nice job.
TheoAU

Postby Wayne Parham » August 31st, 2022, 5:33 pm

On systems with 330Kb diskette drives, I've had no trouble loading Jinx - even the version with save/load. It works on systems gen'ed even lower than that; I've run it on systems gen'ed as low as 56Kb. Might even run on a 48Kb system, but I haven't tried.

It's the systems with 1.5Mb drives that are picky. BIOS for the larger drive eats up TPA. But the version without save/load can be run on systems gen'ed as low as 60Kb. The overlayed version needs a 63Kb system. It does include save/load, which is why it needs the extra meat.
Wayne Parham

Postby BillO » August 31st, 2022, 8:20 pm

I've been meaning to get back to this and other 8800C stuff, but I've been distracted.

I had pending re-designs to some of my 6502 project interfaces and have been partially busy with that process.

I also had the opportunity to pick up an IBM 5150 in "not working" condition ( it was only a bad cap on one of the floppies) and been putting some time into getting it up and functioning in a useable manner.

Finally, I have been re-configuring my "lab", moving stuff around, purchasing some new equipment and refurbishing some older stuff I rely on.

Anyway, just keeping in touch.
BillO

Postby Wayne Parham » September 1st, 2022, 12:58 pm

Couple of questions:

(Well, like 2-1/2 actually. LOL!)

I remember you said you had a Sym-1. I seem to recall you said you had another 6502-based system too, but can't remember what. So that's like a half question. The reason I ask is I wondered if you use cc65 for your 6502 systems. That's the question and a half.

Next question. You run Mike's serial disk server, yes? If you do, what's the TPA? I guess that's two questions. Now I'm losing count.

Can you run SURVEY.COM while using the serial disk server for me please? Let me know what memory your CP/M is gen'ed and what's the TPA, if you wouldn't mind, please.

I'm wondering if Jinx will run on the serial disk server, and if so, what versions.
Wayne Parham

Postby BillO » September 2nd, 2022, 7:30 pm

I have myriad 6502 systems:

2 - Apple IIe
1- Atari 800XL
2 - OSI Model 600 (Superboard II)
1 - SYM-1
4 - Vixen (my own design)
4 - Jaguar (my own design)
1 - Mini-UK101 (built by me and modified for more ROM space)
5 - OMS-02 (my own design for the 6507 variant of the CPU)

I have not yet used cc65. I have used the assembler that comes with it once or twice, but I usually use the Kowalski Emulator to do my assembly. I'd like to build "personalities" (?) for cc65 for my Vixen and Jaguar some day. It's a dream I have.

I do run the SDS.

The TPA with the SDS running is 46598 bytes. CP/M is gen'ed for 56K.
CP/M - 4K
BIOS - 13K
ROM - 2K
BillO

Postby Wayne Parham » September 3rd, 2022, 8:41 am

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like CP/M gen'ed to the max running the serial disk server would have around 50Kb TPA or maybe a little more. Very good - It would run any version of Jinx then. And WordStar could be configured to run nicely too.

An aside about WordStar - I was able to configure it for minimum memory and run on the 1.5Mb CP/M gen'ed for 63Kb. It's nice for editing source code. I have a fond memory for WordStar because it's the first word processor I used regularly. My hands still go for ^k by habit. Kinda like <ESC> for vi.

You have an excellent collection of 6502 systems. I loved the original Apples - up until the Lisa and Macintosh - when the company and its offerings began to change into what they are today. Never really liked Apple after that shift. But I do love all the old 6502 systems, the PET, the Apple and the KIM and SYM.

The cc65 compiler will compile for SYM and Apple targets. It will also compile for OSI and Atari, but I'm not sure about the Superboard II or the 800XL. You might want to get the latest version of cc65 and check. If not, targets could probably be created based on other similar models. I created the Sym-1 target in the cc65 distribution, so I can help you create targets for your Vixen and Jaguar systems, if you want.

I think my favorite C compiler for the Altair is Aztec but my favorite for 6502 systems is definitely cc65.
Wayne Parham

Postby BillO » September 3rd, 2022, 11:50 am

Yeah, even though my main career was in computers I still like the 8-bit machines the best from a HW perspective. That's where I cut my teeth. I still have a fond spot for PDP-11s and DEC VAX systems, but more from the SW side.

Wayne Parham wrote: I created the Sym-1 target in the cc65 distribution, so I can help you create targets for your Vixen and Jaguar systems, if you want.

Target, that's the word I was looking for. Yes, I'd like to take you up on that. Is there some documentation I should have a look at to get the ball rolling?
BillO

Postby Wayne Parham » September 5th, 2022, 10:26 am

Here's a link describing how to make a new target for cc65:

I also suggest looking at some of the existing targets and seeing the directory structure, contents of platform-specific directories and files and the changes to the makefiles and compiler source to incorporate the target. Pick any target and grep for it.
Wayne Parham

Postby BillO » September 9th, 2022, 7:58 am

Thanks Wayne!

When I begin my investigation I will undoubtedly have some questions for you.
BillO

Previous

Return to General Discussions