A plethora of programs

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

A plethora of programs

Postby Wayne Parham » July 6th, 2022, 6:02 pm

Check out this archive:

OK, so it's not an excessive number of programs but there are a lot in there. Most are David Ahl's programs - the "Creative Computing" stuff from the 1970s - but I've updated and/or modified them in ways you might think are fun.

The main reason I updated them was to get them to run in Microsoft BASIC with a 72-character line limit. But there are other differences, described in the "README.TXT" file in the archive.

As an example, I modified David's poetry program to include Vogon utterings as described in the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." That just had to happen. And "Eliza" was modified to make it a little less "shrinky" in its responses. Lots of little changes like that. Hope you like 'em.

Oh, and I changed the extensions to "*.b" on all my files. So load 'em like this: "MBASIC POETRY.B" or STARTREK.B or whatever.
Wayne Parham

Re: A plethora of programs

Postby BillO » July 7th, 2022, 11:14 am

Hi Wayne, for some reason the link is not working for me.

I was able to go over to your site and get them form the Sym-1 page though.
BillO

Re: A plethora of programs

Postby Wayne Parham » July 7th, 2022, 1:53 pm

It works for me. Not sure why it doesn't work for you.

Could be that your browser is blocking HTTP downloads from HTTPS sites as a security measure. ParhamData.com is really just an old-school "internet billboard" site. As such, I've not bothered to put a certificate on it and switch it to HTTPS. Mike's site here is much more uptown, using HTTPS, so having a link from his HTTPS site to my HTTP site might be causing the problem.
Wayne Parham

Return to General Discussions