High Speed .dsk Transfer with no pc

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

High Speed .dsk Transfer with no pc

Postby jipock » December 9th, 2021, 9:03 pm

Just received my Altair Clone (magnificent indeed).
I've set it up for a terminal (wyse 150) on 2SIO Port 1 and Disk Transfer on 2SIO Port 2.
I've added a dual rs232 port module to a raspberry pi. With the short connection, I can set it for 460.8k/sec speed and get disk transfers completed in < 14 seconds.

I have not done it yet because I prefer my Wyse Terminal, but one could configure rs232 port 2 on the PI to go to 2SIO Port 1 and then terminal in from the PI. You could configure a script to know to send rom files and other port 1 files automatically over 2SIO Port 1 and dsk files over port 2.

It removes the need to have a PC to send .dsk files.

moveit.sh script:
stty -F /dev/ttySC0 460800 cs8 -parenb -cstopb -ixon
sx $1 < /dev/ttySC0 > /dev/ttySC0

pi@s100:~/diskfiles/basic/Floppy Disk $ ./moveit.sh GamesOn300-5-f.dsk
Sending GamesOn300-5-f.dsk, 2638 blocks: Give your local XMODEM receive command now.
Bytes Sent: 337664 BPS:26450
Transfer complete

IMG_3414.JPG

IMG_3416.JPG
jipock

Re: High Speed .dsk Transfer with no pc

Postby AltairClone » December 12th, 2021, 9:21 am

Cool! I forget who requested the option to use the second port for disk transfer and to support multiple baud rates for the transfer, but you’ve done a great job using those features.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Re: High Speed .dsk Transfer with no pc

Postby jipock » December 12th, 2021, 8:34 pm

I normally use my Wyse 150, I didn't really access the forums that much after first getting the clone. I kept saying to myself "Damn!!! I wish I could use that second port to transfer dsk files!". Then I was reading the forums and there it was!

This is not possible for prom's or hex/bin files?

Tonight I've been going all out, I've got the highnibble imsai clone, it took a different philosophical approach to the design. I've been trying to configure the altair clone so that I can dump output from CPM through port 2 and into port 1 on the IMSAI and then redirect it to the virtual LPT: on the IMSAI, so far no luck.
jipock

Return to General Discussions