Altair 8800 Operator's Manual v2.0

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Altair 8800 Operator's Manual v2.0

Postby ubuntourist » October 20th, 2020, 2:09 pm

So.

I've been helping a class of high school students who are studying the Altair, and, though I like old tech well enough, I've never been a fan of scans of copies of faxes of 45-year-old, coffee-stained printouts with ink peeling off of them. (Yes, I know, that's a slight exaggeration. But still...) Also, I like links and cross-references.

So, to that end, I converted the document to HTML, and have been slowly adding new tidbits to it. The new stuff is a bit "stream of consciousness" / "off the top of my head" notes, but still useful to the newbie, I hope. Honestly, when it comes to the Altair, I'm a newbie myself. But I've dealt with several mainframe assembler languages, and at least one machine where I had to toggle stuff into a front panel. So, not a big leap.

For your viewing pleasure, I present:

https://ubuntourist.codeberg.page/Altair-8800/

with additons:

Some of those may end up getting combined or eliminated, as there's a bit of redundancy in a couple of places. And I may end up renaming some of the files. So don't depend on the URLs of the above sections staying constant. (I expect I'll keep the root URL provided at the top of this message.)

Oh, and I added a wee bit to the section on the Exclusive Or in Part 1: Introduction, Section B: Electronic Logic.
ubuntourist

Re: Altair 8800 Operator's Manual v2.0

Postby AltairClone » October 21st, 2020, 12:29 pm

Wow, that's a lot of work! Great looking job.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby jibanes » October 21st, 2020, 3:36 pm

That's great, is there a pdf version? So I could read it on the go.
jibanes

Postby toml_12953 » October 22nd, 2020, 12:42 am

ubuntourist wrote:So.

I've been helping a class of high school students who are studying the Altair, and, though I like old tech well enough, I've never been a fan of scans of copies of faxes of 45-year-old, coffee-stained printouts with ink peeling off of them. (Yes, I know, that's a slight exaggeration. But still...) Also, I like links and cross-references.

So, to that end, I converted the document to HTML, and have been slowly adding new tidbits to it. The new stuff is a bit "stream of consciousness" / "off the top of my head" notes, but still useful to the newbie, I hope. Honestly, when it comes to the Altair, I'm a newbie myself. But I've dealt with several mainframe assembler languages, and at least one machine where I had to toggle stuff into a front panel. So, not a big leap.

When you were searching for the copyright holder, did you check out Pertec Computer Corporation which bought MITS or Scan-Optics LLC which bought Pertec? They should still own MITS IP although I can't imagine they'd care about someone reprinting the manuals.

Tom L
toml_12953

Postby Curto » April 11th, 2022, 10:49 pm

This is really great! Thank you for taking the time. Is there a PDF formatted version that we could print?
Curto

Postby Wayne Parham » April 12th, 2022, 3:33 pm

Super groovy cool!
Wayne Parham

Postby MajorClements » October 13th, 2022, 1:12 pm

ubuntourist wrote:So.

with additons:

Some of those may end up getting combined or eliminated, as there's a bit of redundancy in a couple of places. And I may end up renaming some of the files. So don't depend on the URLs of the above sections staying constant. (I expect I'll keep the root URL provided at the top of this message.)

Oh, and I added a wee bit to the section on the Exclusive Or in Part 1: Introduction, Section B: Electronic Logic.

Awesome improvement over the original, but I got to say that my eyes widened when I saw “Apendix B: Setting up Linux for the Altair 8800.” I was hoping that entailed a full install of linux on the Altair.
Sincerely,
Daniel
________________________________________________________________________________
“THINK!”
If you had to remember only one thing about me, just know that I’m the guy with too many ThinkPads to count.
MajorClements

Return to General Discussions