NEW SCORES FOR THE MUSIC SYSTEM

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

NEW SCORES FOR THE MUSIC SYSTEM

Postby ribarrjr » August 15th, 2022, 10:37 am

Has anyone tried writing their own music for the Altair music system? I have been writing and editing the code on my more modern text editor and then converting the ascii file to intel 8 bit hex. This seems to work fine and I'm able to get it loaded into cutter however when I try to use the FILE command it gives me a HEX error (ERR 2) usually somewhere at the beginning of the code. when I use the LIST command I get all the code as I wrote it but I get a bunch of junk text at the end.

anyway before I try any more in-depth troubleshooting I wanted to find out if anyone else has had this problem or has had success with getting new files in the system.

note: I have already tried deleting the linefeeds it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks,
ribarrjr

Re: NEW SCORES FOR THE MUSIC SYSTEM

Postby AltairClone » August 16th, 2022, 6:05 pm

Type a small score directly into the music system and then save it out to your PC as a hex file. Then compare that to what you make as a hex file for the same score created on your PC. There may be some things the music system puts in memory along with the text that you’re not generating.

You can also send the score as a text file to the music system so it thinks you’re typing it in. You’ll most likely have to put a delay per line in your terminal emulator of 300ms-500ms. It’s been a while since I played with it so I don’t recall exactly.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Re: NEW SCORES FOR THE MUSIC SYSTEM

Postby ribarrjr » August 23rd, 2022, 10:19 pm

as far as comparing the HEX files I couldn't make sense of it. It's almost like the software randomly inserts control codes at the beginning of some lines

Sending the score as a text file (or just pasting in the text for Teraterm) seems to work! I was able to get reliable results down to a 100ms delay.

Thanks for all the help!
ribarrjr

Return to General Discussions