Looking for Teletype Substitute

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Looking for Teletype Substitute

Postby kwiebe » March 6th, 2019, 1:30 pm

I'd like to have a real one, but due to price/availability that may not happen. So I began looking at potential substitutes. For example, there was a period of time when electronic typewriters were popular and some models were capable of bidirectional serial comms. There are lots of vintage electronic typewriters on the market. A small subset of them has unidirectional serial capability (to use as a PC printer) and an even smaller subset has bidirectional serial (what I'm interested in).

So I've been monitoring ebay and other websites hoping to find a capable unit in acceptable condition, but so far haven't found one that meets my criteria.

Does anyone here have experience or recommendations for this scenario? Favorite model to use?

Comments welcome.
-Ken
kwiebe

Re: Looking for Teletype Substitute

Postby Twayne5 » March 6th, 2019, 7:45 pm

You might look for a portable terminal, I use a Texas Instruments silent 700 model 703 and a Panasonic KX-D4911. They both use thermal fax paper.
There are a lot of different portable terminals out there, just make sure it has a serial port.
Twayne5

Re: Looking for Teletype Substitute

Postby kwiebe » March 7th, 2019, 11:34 am

Thanks for the tip, Twayne5. I have seen the Silent series but not the Panasonic KX-D4911.

I'm a little hesitant on the Silent because it looks like it uses a proprietary cable. Not a showstopper, but something to consider.

The Panasonic looks very interesting and looks like it would use a standard serial cable. I'll add that to my list.

-Ken
-Ken
kwiebe

Return to General Discussions