On eBay: Clone Micro-ATX Backplates

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

On eBay: Clone Micro-ATX Backplates

Postby steve_a » February 28th, 2019, 2:31 am

Hope this isn't too solicit...

Here's the link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352602118348?ul_noapp=true

There was interest in having me sell these directly, but having the eBay storefront proved too convenient to pass up.

I'm asking $110 each + shipping. This covers eBay's markup and the cost of manufacture.

As of 4/23/2019, I have one left. If they are all purchased, I'll order 5 more and I'll do it all over again.

I wrote a lot of information in the eBay listing description, but I plan to expand on that information here as things pop up.

Aside from requirement of 20mm motherboard standoffs, a way to power the clone PCB (I used the 5V to 12V modification and the ATX standby Voltage), and the fact that its a really tight fit, it works pretty well.
Last edited by steve_a on April 23rd, 2019, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve_a

Re: On eBay: Clone Micro-ATX Backplates

Postby steve_a » February 28th, 2019, 2:42 am

For the power requirements, here's what I did.

To run the board off 5V:
AltairClone wrote:Tack on a jumper wire where shown by the yellow line to configure the Altair Clone PCB to run from 5v instead of 12v.

Mike

And I used the 5V standby voltage off the ATX. It is hot all the time, even if the rest of the ATX supply is off, so the clone can run independent of the micro-ATX motherboard. The +5V standby is normally rated for 2-3A and the clone only draws 40mA, so that should be fine. +5SB (and COM) in this pinout:

Works like a champ.
steve_a

Re: On eBay: Clone Micro-ATX Backplates

Postby steve_a » April 23rd, 2019, 11:47 pm

I am down to one left! I'll probably be ordering more shortly.

The news, though, is that when I designed the plate I had provisioned a 92mm Asetek 545LC all-in-one liquid cooler to fit in one of the fan cutouts.

In December last year, Asetek discontinued the 545LC. I was not happy. I purchased a Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 92mm radiator and it does "fit", but mounting a pump and reservoir really started to get cramped.

I think Asetek was taken aback at how many people used their 92mm all-in-one. Many at the /r/sffpc subreddit were also not happy, it seems a small form factor case (the DAN A4) was designed to use them exclusively. So Asetek designed an updated version, the 645LT. And as far as I know, it will be released this summer and will have the same mounting dimensions as the old 545LC.

So if you want to water cool your Altair, the option will be there.
steve_a

Return to General Discussions