Using cpmtools with Altair Clone Disk Images

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Using cpmtools with Altair Clone Disk Images

Postby edrodgers » March 24th, 2016, 9:58 am

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere...

I'd like to use cpmtools 2.20 in Linux to create and modify disk CP/M 2.2b disk images for the clone. Unfortunately I'm having trouble making it work. I'm unable to read the content on the images provided using any of the standard configs in diskdefs. I think I may not have the disk format details correct in the diskdefs file, as seen here: https://gist.github.com/anarchivist/2974596

Can anyone help me find/confirm:

seclen:
tracks:
sectrk:
blocksize:
maxdir:
skew:
boottrk:

for both the 8 inch and MiniDisks used on the clone with CP/M 2.2b?

Thanks!
-Ed
edrodgers

Re: Using cpmtools with Altair Clone Disk Images

Postby AltairClone » March 25th, 2016, 11:37 am

Unfortunately, there is no combination of parameters that will make CPMTOOLS work with the Altair format. This is due to the fact that physical sectors are 137 bytes long and the data payload is 128 bytes long.

SIMH is a good way to create/edit disk images that will work on the Altair and Altair Clone, and to assemble and test programs quickly when you're not in the mood for the slower speed of the the real thing.

Here's a forum topic regarding SIMH: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=130&p=616&hilit=simh#p616

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Re: Using cpmtools with Altair Clone Disk Images

Postby edrodgers » March 25th, 2016, 2:57 pm

That's what I needed, thanks!

I'll get SIMH built in Linux and give it a go. I've been using z80pack to emulate Altair, but I'll see what SIMH has to offer.
edrodgers

Return to General Discussions