Can't Auto-Run TURMON

Discuss construction, troubleshooting, and operation of the Altair 8800c computer

Can't Auto-Run TURMON

Postby toml_12953 » April 27th, 2019, 4:03 pm

I have TURMON at location FD00 in ROM on the FDC+
I can examine FD00 and execute it fine manually and get a dot prompt.

I'm trying to set VDIP #2 to FD so when I power up, the computer will execute TURMON.

When I set the FP VDIP #2 to FD (the MSB of the Power-On Jump Address), though, all I get on the terminal is a weird ASCII character (it varies)
and not the dot prompt. I can't type anything.

I have VDIP #1 set to 01100000 to turn on the FF Latch and Code Injection but when I set the MSB of the Power-On jump Address in FDIP #2 and save it, bit 7 (Pwr Reset) of VDIP #1 is automatically set. Is that supposed to happen?

In any case, should I be able to run TURMON at power-up? If so, how?
toml_12953

Re: Can't Auto-Run TURMON

Postby AltairClone » April 27th, 2019, 7:33 pm

1) Make sure you don’t have auto-jump enabled on the front panel and on the 2SIOJP at the same time.

2) Be sure the PROM on the 2SIOJP board is disabled. Not just auto-disable, but that the switch is set to disable the PROM.

3) Yes, enabling auto jump on the front panel forces the automatic reset option. If a good reset isn’t performed, the 8080 is in an invalid state and won’t run properly,

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Re: Can't Auto-Run TURMON <SOLVED>

Postby toml_12953 » April 28th, 2019, 12:03 am

AltairClone wrote:1) Make sure you don’t have auto-jump enabled on the front panel and on the 2SIOJP at the same time.

2) Be sure the PROM on the 2SIOJP board is disabled. Not just auto-disable, but that the switch is set to disable the PROM.

3) Yes, enabling auto jump on the front panel forces the automatic reset option. If a good reset isn’t performed, the 8080 is in an invalid state and won’t run properly,

Mike

Thanks for taking time to answer! It works now. The problem was that I still had the power-on reset jumpers on A16 on both 2SIOJP cards. The front panel and both cards were trying to reset the system at power-on. Three resets for the price of one?

After removing the jumpers from A16 on both 2SIOJP cards, the computer now correctly jumps to the address in VDIP#2 at power-on.

Once again, it was just a matter of something I overlooked.

BTW, The version number shown in location 0 after right-Aux and Examine are raised is 00001000 (version 8?) Is that the latest?

Tom L
toml_12953

Re: Can't Auto-Run TURMON

Postby AltairClone » April 28th, 2019, 7:41 am

The version number is displayed as two octal digits with a decimal point between the digits. The 08h you’re seeing is actually version “1.0” in octal. Version 1.0 is still the most recent version.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Return to Altair 8800c