Shugart SA-800 Jumpers, Clone Case

Discuss construction, troubleshooting, and operation of the Altair 8800c computer

Shugart SA-800 Jumpers, Clone Case

Postby toml_12953 » February 19th, 2019, 3:46 pm

In the FDC+ manual, it mentions SA-800 jumpers T1, T2, T3-6, A, B, DS, C, and Y. On mine, X has a jumper as well. Should I leave it on or should X be removed?

I have my 8800c assembled and running and it works great. The front dress panel (the dark gray panel with the silk screen printing) looks like it's set too far back in the bezel, however. I looked at the mounting and it doesn't seem like there's any way to get the panel to sit closer to the front of the bezel. The distance seems to be fixed by the aluminum bracket. The distance between the dress panel and bracket is fixed by the switches. Their bushings protrude just slightly through the holes in the dress panel and the position of the aluminum bracket is fixed by the four mounting screws in the bottom of the case. Am I missing something?

With all these questions I have on the 8800c, maybe there should be a separate forum for it!
toml_12953

Re: Shugart SA-800 Jumpers, Clone Case

Postby AltairClone » February 19th, 2019, 5:01 pm

The manual says to install jumpers on DS, A, B, C, Y, T2 and 800. If it's the last drive on the cable, the manual says to install jumpers T1 and T3-T6. The manual then states all other jumpers should be removed. Therefore, your X jumper falls in the latter category.

Actually, the position of the dress panel relative to the bracket is not set by the switches. It is set by the six white spacers that were installed between the bracket and dress panel as shipped. Are those spacers installed?

Good idea about a new forum for the 8800c - here it is!

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Return to Altair 8800c