loading HEX files

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

loading HEX files

Postby jrdurgan » September 3rd, 2018, 1:46 pm

Can someone please tell me how to get a HEX file into altair. I want to run the cassette interface tests. I have tried option 5 on the menu, but all it says is load .hex file now. There are no prompts for a file name or location. This will probably turn out to be simple, but I haven't found the method yet.

Thanks
In Advance

J Durgan
jrdurgan

Re: loading HEX files

Postby toml_12953 » September 4th, 2018, 3:08 pm

jrdurgan wrote:Can someone please tell me how to get a HEX file into altair. I want to run the cassette interface tests. I have tried option 5 on the menu, but all it says is load .hex file now. There are no prompts for a file name or location. This will probably turn out to be simple, but I haven't found the method yet.

Thanks
In Advance

J Durgan

Your communications program should have an option to send text which is what .hex files are.
Once you get the prompt go to your comm program's send menu and start the transfer.

I don't know what terminal program you're using so I can't be more specific. If you post the name of the one you're
using, someone here can help you step by step.
toml_12953

Postby jrdurgan » September 4th, 2018, 5:48 pm

I am using teraterm as the communication program.

J Durgan

p.s. thanks so much for the reply.
jrdurgan

Postby toml_12953 » September 5th, 2018, 5:02 am

jrdurgan wrote:I am using teraterm as the communication program.

J Durgan

p.s. thanks so much for the reply.

OK, then. Once you get the message to send the hex file, click on:

1. File
2. Send file...

A file selection window will pop up.

3. Navigate to the directory containing your file
4. Click on the file you want to send.

That's it. The file will begin transferring automatically. You should see activity in the terminal as data comes in.

You may have to adjust the throttle delay in AltairDuino's configuration menu and/or the Transfer Delay in TeraTerm's Serial port setup menu.
I find that at 9600 baud a throttle delay of 7 and a delay of 5 msec/line in TeraTerm works best for me.

Tom L
toml_12953

Postby mail@gabrielegan.com » September 5th, 2018, 5:06 am

After setting the Altair to listen for the HEX file (as you have done), go to your TeraTerm window and choose 'Send File...' from the File menu and then point the resulting dialogue window at the HEX file residing on the PC on which you are running TeraTerm. Select the HEX file, and the TeraTerm dialogue window will disappear as the bytes are transferred from your PC to the Altair. At the end of the transfer, the Altair will report how many bytes it received and those bytes should be in the Altair at the locations specified in the HEX file.

Regards

Gabriel Egan
mail@gabrielegan.com

Postby AltairClone » September 5th, 2018, 9:38 am

toml_12953 wrote:You may have to adjust the throttle delay in AltairDuino's configuration menu and/or the Transfer Delay in TeraTerm's Serial port setup menu.
I find that at 9600 baud a throttle delay of 7 and a delay of 5 msec/line in TeraTerm works best for me.

Tom L

Wrong forum Tom ;)

Note that these instructions regarding throttle delay and delay/line do not apply to the Altair Clone.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby toml_12953 » September 9th, 2018, 5:15 am

AltairClone wrote:
toml_12953 wrote:You may have to adjust the throttle delay in AltairDuino's configuration menu and/or the Transfer Delay in TeraTerm's Serial port setup menu.

Tom L

Wrong forum Tom ;)

Note that these instructions regarding throttle delay and delay/line do not apply to the Altair Clone.

Mike

Where am I? :) I use those settings for both the Clone and AltairDuino so I forgot they're only necessary for the AD!

Maybe my wife was right. Could it be that I have too many old computers and replicas so I can't remember which is which? Nah.
toml_12953

Return to General Discussions