Settings for high-speed paper tape

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Re: Settings for high-speed paper tape

Postby AltairClone » December 3rd, 2014, 10:32 am

No special characters are needed. You do have to specify the same "filename" on save and load. The filename is actually just the first character of whatever string you supply to the CSAVE and CLOAD commands. For example, if you type CSAVE "TEST" then you must CLOAD "TEST" (or least "T") in order for it to work.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby mail@gabrielegan.com » December 3rd, 2014, 4:04 pm

RESOLVED! I can now punch and read back paper-tape. The problem was that the tape being punched look okay but was in fact punched too quickly (and hence an unreadable tape was made). 9600 baud is fine for reading data in from the paper-tape reader, but the punch is overwhelmed if data is sent to it at that speed -- I see now that you mentioned this on another thread and I should have heeded it. (Funnily enough, it looks like the GNT-5601 doesn't have a memory buffer to hold what's going to the punch: BASIC's 'Ok' prompt returns only once the punch has finished punching, whereas if there was a buffer I'd expect that prompt to come back as soon as the punch's memory had taken in the last byte.) Now, to punch a boot tape for 8K BASIC . . .
mail@gabrielegan.com

Postby AltairClone » December 3rd, 2014, 9:04 pm

Great job!!
AltairClone
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussions