Recommended reading?

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Recommended reading?

Postby cluttered » September 25th, 2014, 6:49 am

I've ordered an Altair Clone a couple of days ago, it's now in transit to me from the other side of the world. I'm very much looking forward to it; I haven't used a front-panel system for many years, probably not since the late 80's.

While I'm waiting for the system to arrive I plan to do some reading to get up to speed. What do people recommend? I do have plenty of CP/M experience, but the majority of it is with CP/M 3.0 on Z80 systems of various kinds, not much with 2.2 or with the 8080. Also, I'm open to suggestions of good terminal programs to use on either OSX or Linux.

Thanks.
cluttered

Re: Recommended reading?

Postby gmh » September 26th, 2014, 5:27 am

The site itself contains heaps of content http://altairclone.com/altair_manuals.htm other than that Amazon has heaps of books on BASIC, CP/M etc.

I use minicom on both OpenBSD and OS X. It's the nicest terminal emulator I've found for *nix. I'm sure every GNU/Linux distribution would include packages for minicom, and MacPorts (etc) have it available too.
gmh

Re: Recommended reading?

Postby cluttered » September 27th, 2014, 5:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestion; I'd completely forgotten about Minicom, last having used it many years ago. I'll definitely give it a try.
cluttered

Return to General Discussions