Kermit?

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Re: Kermit?

Postby jibanes » July 11th, 2014, 3:09 pm

AltairClone wrote:
jibanes wrote:Thank you Mike, I will try to upgrade the firmware, although I do it from Linux, but I imagine I can cat the bin file to the serial device.

Be sure the cat operation allows full 8 bit transfers and does not filter/translate any characters before you attempt the upgrade. Otherwise, you may temporarily "brick" your Clone until you can find a way to transfer a file as 8 bit without any filtering.

Mike

Well, I'm glad you've implemented this right, and that's why I have the luxury to test things, because there's always a way to fix things, although cumbersome, it's always possible.
jibanes

Postby jibanes » July 11th, 2014, 3:12 pm

AltairClone wrote:Don't forget you're working on an Altair! :) Software has no control over baud rates. In the day, you had to pull out the serial board and change soldered jumpers to change the baud rate. In the Clone, it's a bit easier of course, you change the fixed rate baud rate of the serial board in the Serial Port menu of the Configuration Monitor.

Based on your previous post, you're running at 9600 baud.

Mike

Damn you're right, good point; I'll try a few different settings, out of curiosity (not even knowing if this would help) is it possible to overclock the AltairClone? (I imagine you're using a propeller or anything like it).
jibanes

Postby AltairClone » July 11th, 2014, 6:13 pm

No, the Altair Clone won't run any faster. It runs pretty much the same speed as a real Altair. The only exception is disk I/O: You can turn off emulation of the real drive's rotation and head stepping rates and then disk I/O speeds up substantially.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby jibanes » July 11th, 2014, 10:53 pm

Firmware upgrade from linux was just a breeze.

Send the update file now (8-bit, binary mode)...
File Received.
Writing Program Memory...
Update Complete.

Restarting as Altair.
jibanes

Postby jibanes » July 11th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Tried binary transfers and all, and can't kermit with the kermit server at 9600; owell, I would have been surprised if it would have worked so smoothly; 9600 is pretty fast.
jibanes

Postby jibanes » July 12th, 2014, 12:26 am

Maybe someone has heard of another kermit implementation for the Altair?
jibanes

Postby AltairClone » July 12th, 2014, 8:37 am

The Kerm411 on the Kermit disk image is a "generic" Kermit that uses only CP/M calls for I/O. It is not Altair specific. I was not able to locate an Altair specific version of Kermit. I was going to create an Altair specific version myself, but I've been able to use this version of Kermit at 9600 baud without any problems, so I figured, why bother? :)

I've used this version of Kermit to successfully transfer files with a PC using both TeraTerm and Hyperterm. I've also used it to transfer files with a Vector Graphic MZ running CP/M and an older version of Kermit. In all cases, however, I manually initiate the send or receive operation on the host side. I don't have a version of Kermit that will run on the PC and go into server mode.

I'm not sure yet what you're up against, but I don't think the problem is on the Altair side. Have you tried doing a manual "receive" on the Linux side followed by a manual "send" on the Altair side, or vice-versa?

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby AltairClone » July 12th, 2014, 8:59 am

Also, set your server to checksum type 1 for now. Things should automatically fall back to that level if the Altair version doesn't support type 3, but maybe not due to using server mode.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby jibanes » September 12th, 2015, 1:12 am

In the hope that this might help someone.

I'm running cpm2.2b on firmware 1.81.
pocketterm connected to port 1 (upper port)
kermit connected directly to port 2 (power below port 1)
port 2 configured as type SIO (I/O 006,007), 9600 8N1.

on linux (running C-Kermit 9.0.302 from debian ports):
kermit
set line /dev/ttyUSB0
set speed 9600
set carrier-watch off
server

on the altairclone:
set port ur1
remote dir
remote get file
remote dir

works great, many thanks Mike.
jibanes

Postby toml_12953 » September 14th, 2015, 11:10 am

AltairClone wrote:Don't forget you're working on an Altair! :) Software has no control over baud rates. In the day, you had to pull out the serial board and change soldered jumpers to change the baud rate. In the Clone, it's a bit easier of course, you change the fixed rate baud rate of the serial board in the Serial Port menu of the Configuration Monitor.

Based on your previous post, you're running at 9600 baud.

Mike

It looks to me like page 1-5 of the 88-2SIO manual says the hardwired baud rate could be overridden in software or am I reading it wrong (it wouldn't be the first time!)?

Tom L
toml_12953

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions