Altair BASIC 3.2 (4K)

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Altair BASIC 3.2 (4K)

Postby phoenix » November 29th, 2018, 6:11 pm

Dear forum members,

I am putting a project together to read standard 1 inch wide punched paper tape into my Altair Clone.

I would really like to find a paper tape with Altair BASIC 3.2 (4K) on it. By no means an original, but a newly produced tape.

This would require someone that has a teletype machine (and blank tape) that could punch the code onto it.

Can anyone help me with this or know of someone who might?
phoenix

Re: Altair BASIC 3.2 (4K)

Postby mail@gabrielegan.com » November 30th, 2018, 10:00 am

Sure, I'll do it. Where do you want the tape sent to? (Rather than use a Teletype to punch it -- which is a bit awkward as the binary data also prints out as ASCII characters on the Teletype's printing mechanism -- I'll punch it using a GNT 4604 paper-tape punch.)

Regards

Gabriel
mail@gabrielegan.com

Postby johnnystarr » February 22nd, 2019, 9:18 pm

mail@gabrielegan.com wrote:Sure, I'll do it. Where do you want the tape sent to? (Rather than use a Teletype to punch it -- which is a bit awkward as the binary data also prints out as ASCII characters on the Teletype's printing mechanism -- I'll punch it using a GNT 4604 paper-tape punch.)

Regards

Gabriel

Gabriel, is this something that I could piggy back a request for? I'm on a search for a paper-tape punch but I have plans to make my own paper tape reader as an Arduino project. I'd be happy to cover the shipping + tape costs.
johnnystarr

Postby mail@gabrielegan.com » February 27th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Sorry, didn't spot this till just now.

You mean you want me to send you a BASIC 3.2 (4K) paper tape too? Sure, just tell me where to send it. No need to cover costs: my institution (a university) is happy to do that.

Regards

Gabriel

PS I wonder if Bill Gates is finally okay with us doing this.
mail@gabrielegan.com

Return to General Discussions