Intel Hex

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Intel Hex

Postby tommyvolts » May 1st, 2017, 5:23 pm

Can someone tell me where I find/download an assembler that produces Intel hex files. Presently I have to create the hex files from scratch. This is extremely laborious/tedious (alot of counting and check sums etc.)
tommyvolts

Re: Intel Hex

Postby tommyvolts » May 2nd, 2017, 10:59 am

Below is an example of an Intel Hex format (.HEX file) text that I wrote and loaded into the Altair clone using Teraterm and the Altair Clone Configuration Monitor load hex function. I use Notepad++ to save the text file as a .HEX file.

It is the two op-code jump program from one of Mike's videos and is possibly the smallest actual .HEX file program that can be written and run. It was still fairly laborious to hand assemble. I had to calculate the check sum with a calculator, carefully type in each op code etc. I can't imagine doing that for large .HEX files. Or maybe that is just the way it is done???

:03000000C300003A
:0000000000

It would be nice if there was some kind of an assembler that could create the text file. I've google searched with no success. I'd appreciate any direction. Thank you.
tommyvolts

Postby AltairClone » May 2nd, 2017, 11:46 am

You can run CP/M on the Altair Clone and use the CP/M assembler (ASM) to write programs and generate .hex files. The programs on the CP/M disk PCGET and PCPUT allow you to send and receive files between a PC and the Altair Clone. I like to write programs in Notepad on the PC and transfer them to the Altair to work on.

You can also run the Altair CP/M environment completely on a PC using SIMH. Here's a link to a ready to go SIMH configuration from the Altair Clone support page:
http://altairclone.com/downloads/simh/

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby tommyvolts » May 2nd, 2017, 12:45 pm

Thanks Mike!
tommyvolts

Return to General Discussions