Machine Language Monitor?

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Machine Language Monitor?

Postby DGSimpson » April 21st, 2017, 12:39 pm

Does anyone know if there is a machine language monitor program available for the Altair? I'm not referring to the "monitor" program that's part of the MITS assembler -- I'm referring to a program that lets you display and modify memory contents in octal or hex, has a simple built-in assembler and disassembler, etc. The "debug.exe" command that used to be included with MS-DOS is an example.

David
DGSimpson

Re: Machine Language Monitor?

Postby toml_12953 » April 21st, 2017, 2:26 pm

DGSimpson wrote:Does anyone know if there is a machine language monitor program available for the Altair? I'm not referring to the "monitor" program that's part of the MITS assembler -- I'm referring to a program that lets you display and modify memory contents in octal or hex, has a simple built-in assembler and disassembler, etc. The "debug.exe" command that used to be included with MS-DOS is an example.

David

Do you mean the original Altair or the Clone? For the Clone, there's a monitor in the firmware. If you have an original, you could look at the documentation and enter the listing yourself.

http://altairclone.com/downloads/roms/Altair%20Monitor/

Tom L
toml_12953

Postby DGSimpson » April 21st, 2017, 2:43 pm

I was thinking of the clone. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much.
DGSimpson

Postby pngwen » May 3rd, 2017, 2:01 pm

There is also the monitor that comes with the MITS Programming System II package. That is by far my favorite. In addition to a straight up machine code monitor, you can use a text editor (EDT) and assembler (AM2). You can load it from audio cassette if you have the ACR interface.
pngwen

Return to General Discussions