The Wizard's Castle - text based RPG

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

The Wizard's Castle - text based RPG

Postby gmh » July 27th, 2016, 5:53 pm

Hi all,

The Wizard's Castle is a text-based role-playing game, originally released on the Exidy Sorcerer in 1980, and later ported to other platforms including the IBM PC. 36 years later I've ported it to the Altair. The player creates a character, choosing between the races of elf, human, dwarf, and hobbit, distinguished by their personal statistics (strength, intelligence, and dexterity). The player can also choose the initial weapons, armor, and items to take on the quest. When all is ready, the hero ventures into the dungeon. You can type HELP at any time to get a summary of available commands.

As with all of my ports, I've tried to remain as close to original as possible given the limitations of the Altair. Caps lock must be enabled to play this game. As this game was designed for much faster systems the initial castle generation can take a little time, so please be patient.

This is a huge port (22K) and I've done a heap of debugging/testing, I don't believe there are any bugs with this port. If you do find any though, please let me know and I'll get them addressed. I have only tested this game on BASIC-80 under CP/M 2.2. Lines 10, 250, and 1020 use PRINT CHR$(27)+"[2J" to clear the screen. If your terminal/terminal emulator doesn't support DEC VT codes you will need to change these lines.

Here are some screenshots from the gaming running on the Altair Clone (connected via serial/OpenBSD).

Attachments
CASTLE.BAS.zip
(9.43 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
gmh

Re: The Wizard's Castle - text based RPG

Postby harnas » October 17th, 2016, 2:10 pm

I'm going to give it a try. I love this kind of RPG text games.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just run this game using MBASIC, under CP/M 2.2. It works great.
harnas

Postby sabea002 » October 18th, 2016, 10:22 pm

This is awesome! I really appreciate your consistent posts giving me new things to enjoy with my Altair!
sabea002

Postby harnas » November 2nd, 2016, 11:20 am

Just an update, after few days playing :)

WCASTLE.png

I captured this from ZTerm (Mac).

I also took the code and compiled to an EXE file with QBasic. Now I can play this game anywhere using my little MS-DOS computer, the HP 200lx.
harnas

Postby gmh » November 3rd, 2016, 5:19 pm

harnas wrote:Just an update...

NICE JOB!
gmh

Return to General Discussions