Oops, hehe, factory reset

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

Oops, hehe, factory reset

Postby Semolina » August 31st, 2015, 9:06 pm

In a fine tradition that I've been upholding since my first computer, I seem to have corrupted the floppy disk images on my clone! Repairing it seemed like it was going to be much easier than reinstalling MSDOS since the Configuration Monitor has a factory restore, but it would seem that the floppy disks and PROMs are wiped out.

What are the images that are pre-loaded onto the clone prior to shipping? I looked through the manual as reference and checked the downloads folder so I think it's these, can anyone corroborate?
Floppy 0: altairclone.com/downloads/cpm/CPM 2.2/cpm63k.dsk
Floppy 1: altairclone.com/downloads/basic/Floppy Disk/Games on 300-5-F.dsk
Floppy 2: altairclone.com/downloads/altair_dos/AltairDOS.dsk

PROM FF00: altairclone.com/downloads/roms/DBL.HEX
PROM FE00: altairclone.com/downloads/roms/MBL.HEX
PROM FD00: altairclone.com/downloads/roms/TURMON.HEX

Does that sound about right?

I'll probably mix is up in the future but for now I'd like to get it back to how it shipped so I go back and follow the manual a little more closely instead of jumping around all willy nilly
Semolina

Re: Oops, hehe, factory reset

Postby AltairClone » September 1st, 2015, 10:01 am

Yes, those are the default floppy and PROM images installed.

The menu option is actually “Restore Defaults” and not "factory restore." The option also warns you that all floppy and PROM content will be erased:

===== Restore Defaults =====

This operation will erase all floppy and PROM content
and set all parameters to their defaults values.

Restore defaults (y/n)?
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby Semolina » September 8th, 2015, 3:20 pm

Thanks! I got a chance to finally upload the files and it's working. The Multi Boot Loader looks like it's MBLe, the other one didn't fit in the FE00 slot (more than 0100 length).

I originally did something bad with CP/M (not sure what exactly, but I'm trying to learn stuff so...) and caused A> drive to no longer boot, so when I did the Restore Defaults I figured I'd have to do some leg work to simulate a kind of factory restore, not that it's really supported.

By the by, is there a "safe" way to shutdown from CP/M? Or can I just flip the power switch, provided it's just waiting at a prompt?
Semolina

Postby AltairClone » September 8th, 2015, 6:54 pm

The MBL.hex file is the correct length. You may have accidentally specified a binary file in the conguration monitor and then sent the .hex file. But MBLe is fine as well and works in a Turnkey environment unlike the original MBL.

No shutdown procedure is required. Just turn off the computer if sitting at a prompt.

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Return to General Discussions