How to video on Configuration Menu?

General discussions related to the Altair 8800 Clone

How to video on Configuration Menu?

Postby waltermixxx » June 10th, 2015, 7:11 pm

I know it kinda spoils the illusion of an Authentic Altair 8800, but I would love to see some how to video's on adding PROMS, Loading Floppies, Updating firmware etc? it would be so cool :)

I read through the Load New Prom section and I tried to add the following prom: http://vintagecomputer.net/mits/Software/Dan.zip

seems to have cool features, thought it would be fun... so i went into the config menu, tera term set for 9600 8N2 and go into option 2 Prom Menu, then Option 1, load new prom content, then I select the Prom i want to change 8, then put in the address F000, then it says send the file, and I do, i use send file option, and on the the laptop it looks like the file is sending, but nothing happening... even when it ends, nothing no prompt.... i end up having to shut it down because lifting aux does not break out of it, and neither does aux up... if it ever does come down from the transfer, it spits out data from the bin file, as if it were being entered on the keyboard, the menu tries to enterpret the code as commands... not sure what I am doing wrong... should i be sending at 9600? takes a while... Just wondering if we could get a couple of how to videos on configuration menu. :)

Cheers. :)
Altair Clone, Briel 8800micro, Replica 1plus (wire wrapped), Cosmac Elf 2K.
I love this stuff, just wish my wife did... :)
waltermixxx

Re: How to video on Configuration Menu?

Postby AltairClone » June 10th, 2015, 8:12 pm

Not sure what you're up against. It worked for me. I uploaded the M84_2SIO.BIN file since I have the console serial port configured as a 2SIO. Here are a few items to check:

1) I assume you've unzipped the original file and are choosing one of the .bin files, correct?
2) You must use a terminal emulator that can send 8 bit binary data (e.g., HyperTerm can't).
3) 9600 baud is correct. The transfer of a 700h byte file definitely should not "take a while." Upload time is about two seconds.

Let me know what you find!

Mike
AltairClone
Site Admin

Postby waltermixxx » June 10th, 2015, 9:08 pm

:) thanks for the quick reply :)

I think the issue was i never completed the Tera Term setup using the INI and the other three config files... once I did that, it all worked as it should have worked. :)
and yes it only took about 2 seconds :)

Thanks again :)

Cheers. :)
Attachments
teraterm-working.jpg
Tera Term Configured correctly using Mike's instructions
waltermixxx

Postby waltermixxx » June 11th, 2015, 7:53 am

I finished building my Pocket Term on the USB proto board, worked on the first try :) i used a header with 4 pins. Ground on the outside two pins, and RX and TX in the middle, so I could rotate the header cable depending on the type of serial cable i was using, null modem vs straight through. :) Very pleased with the work Vince and Jeff did. The cool thing using this board is that the USB connector is already there, and connected to prop's built in serial port. :). :) I just have to design and print a case for it. :)

If I had the proper vga/keyboard/mouse stacked connector for this board it would have been a bit neater and easier to design a case for... :). May do it with an open side where the usb, power, and vga connect, and mount the keyboard and serial connector to the case. :)
Attachments
pocket term.JPG
Home Made Pocket Term
waltermixxx

Return to General Discussions